Things remain fairly relaxed as the school has a day where the parents of students can visit and observe their children’s classes. Issei reveals that he’s a masterful sculptor, and Rias’ father visits Issei’s family. Lastly, we also get to meet Sona’s older sister.
This Post Contains NSFW Images!
Open House Begins!
The confrontation with Vali, the White Dragon, doesn’t end up turning into anything. Afterwards, there’s some shenanigans at school between Issei and his peers. As it’s the day where parents can visit, Issei’s parents observe one of his classes. Rias’ brother and father also arrive. Afterwards they all go to Issei’s house for some drinks.
The episode ends with Rias’ brother telling her to release her second bishop.
Well, nothing really happened this episode. Just like last episode, not much progression, and less fan service. The meeting with Vali was uneventful, and the rest was just school life / parents embarrassing their kids for the most part. The Issei sculpture was pretty funny though, and everyone’s reactions to it.
The only real substance was the small cliffhanger at the end when they eluded to Rias’ second bishop, who was apparently too difficult to control. I guess we’ll learn more about that next episode.
On the topic of parents visiting their kids classes in Japan, I can attest that it does happen, and it’s actually quite common (I currently teach English in Japan). There’ll actually be maybe 4 or 5 days per year that parents can come in and observe classes. There isn’t nearly as much fanfare as in the episode though, and the parents (usually all mothers) won’t take pictures or anything like that.
I had a good laugh at Issei’s expense with his parents watching him at the school and then inviting Rias’ father and brother home. Imagine your parents accidentally inviting home the all-powerful devil king for drinks… haha!
I thought the whole scene with Vali was kind of annoying. He just shows up, gives Issei some shit, and then wanders off because he has better things to do. It just felt like a pointless and lazy way to properly introduce his character.
It was funny that Sona’s sister gave Issei flashbacks to his first client and the interesting time he had there, but otherwise, as Yomu stated, it really wasn’t much of anything. At least the last episode had bikinis and a pool!
Other Posts in the Series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – I Got a Girlfriend!
- Episode 2 – I’m Done Being Human!
- Episode 3 – I Made A Friend!
- Episode 4 – I’m Saving My Friend!
- Episode 5 – I Will Defeat My Ex-Girlfriend!
- Episode 6 – I Work as a Devil!
- Episode 7 – I Get A Familiar!
- Episode 8 – I Pick a Fight!
- Episode 9 – I’ve Begun My Training
- Episode 10 – The Showdown Begins!
- Episode 11 – The Acclaimed Battle Continues!
- Episode 12 – I’m Here to Keep My Promise!
- Episode 13 – OVA – Oppai, Minorimasu!
- Episode 14 – OVA – Oppai, Motomemasu!
- Season Two (High School DxD New)
- Episode 2 – The Holy Sword Is Here!
- Episode 3 – I’ll Destroy the Holy Sword!
- Episode 4 – A Strong Enemy Appeared!
- Episode 5 – Decisive Battle at Kuoh Academy!
- Episode 6 – Go! Occult Research Club!
- Episode 7 – Summer! Bathing Suits! I’m in Trouble!
- Episode 8 – Open House Begins!
- Episode 9 – I Have a Junior!
- Episode 10 – Various Three-way Deadlocks!
- Episode 11 – The Leaders’ Summit Begins!
- Episode 12 – Clash of the Twin Heavenly Dragons!
- Episode 13 – OVA – Oppai, Tsutsumimasu!
- Season Three (High School DxD BorN)
- Episode 1 – Summer Break! Off to the Underworld!
- Episode 2 – Young Devils Gather
- Episode 3 – Cat and Dragon
- Episode 4 – Interception, Commence!
- Episode 5 – The Last Day of Summer Break!
- Episode 6 – Second Semester has Started!
- Episode 7 – The Night Before Battle!
- Episode 8 – We Will Save Asia!
- Episode 9 – Dragon of Dragon
- Episode 10 – Occult Research Club Vanishes!?
- Episode 11 – I Will Fight!
- Season One Specials